Everyone probably has their own ‘family recipe’ for the classic trifle! However, my family doesn’t! My husband loooves trifle, this is my take on the classic trifle!
I used a 6 in 1 cake stand from Kmart which has a huuuuuge capacity! http://www.kmart.com.au/product/6-function-cake-stand/708323
This is a hit everytime I make it and there are never any leftovers! I find it not too sweet and quite light compared to some trifle’s I have tasted. I use orange juice so it is kid friendly, but you could use Cointreau or any other type of liquor if you want for an ‘adult’ friendly dessert!
**Pre-prepare a few hours/overnight beforehand – 2 x jelly as per instructions on packet, and custard to leave chilling in fridge.
**Pre-prepare just before assembly – whip thickened cream
1. Cut the Jam Rollettes in half and place at the bottom of the glass bowl.
2. Pour the tinned fruit salad with juice over the jam rollettes and spread evenly.
3. Pour orange juice evenly over the mixture.
4. Mush up 1 colour of the pre-prepared jelly with a fork, and spread an even layer in bowl.
5. Spread an even layer of custard in bowl.
6. Mush up the other colour of the pre-prepared jelly with a fork, and spread an even layer in bowl.
7. Spread whipped cream evenly over the mixture, and top evenly with raspberries, blueberries and flaked almonds.
You can serve immediately after assembly, but this is best served after a few hours/the day after so that all the layers sit and ‘marinade’ together – so this is great to bring to a party or to whip up beforehand for a dinner party.
I place the fruit evenly so that when serving, each scoop will get an even amount of fruit. I also add the flaked almonds on top for some crunch.
Easy Classic TriflePrint Recipe
- 2 x packets Jam Rollettes (cut in half)
- 1 x 820g tin Fruit Salad in Juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (kid friendly) or Cointreau
- 2 x pre-made Aeroplane Jelly as per instructions (I use red and green, but you could use any colour/flavour)
- 1 x batch thick vanilla custard (http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/desserts-sweets-recipes/thick-vanilla-custard-thermomumma/282103 with 60g sugar) or if you don't have a thermomix, you can buy the pre-made chilled custard or make custard from Custard Powder
- 1 x 600ml thickened cream (Speed 3 with butterfly until whipped and fluffy)
- 1 x punnet raspberries
- 1 x punnet blueberries
- Approx. 100gm flaked almonds
Assemble as per the above photos.