Coming from a Chinese Malaysian family, I grew up with Chinese bread from the Asian bakeries, and hot dog buns were always one of the favourites!
My Aunty in Malaysia makes them perfectly with her special recipe, however when they are made here in Australia they just don’t taste the same – could be the different factors like ingredients, humidity, kitchen etc.
I have used Thermomumma’s Sweet Dough Recipe for many things like sweet scrolls and finger buns, so I thought I would use this multi functional dough for hot dog buns. I have made this a few times now and they don’t last a day in my household, especially with my meatloving husband.
The first time I made it, I used cocktail frankfurts and the taste of it was very strong. My mum then told me to use skinless frankfurts (cut in half) as they have no added herbs etc and they are PERFECT.
This batch of bread dough makes 16 x hot dog buns. I punch out and roll out the dough, divide in 2, and continue dividing the dough pieces into 2 until you get 16 pieces. I then punch out and roll each piece to get a long rounded shape (kind of like playing with play dough!) and wrap around the piece of frankfurt. Tip: pat down the piece of frankfurt before rolling in dough so it doesn’t make it soggy during the cooking process.
After wrapping each frankfurt, I then put it in an oven with a hot water bath to prove for 1 hour. After proving, preheat the oven at 170 degrees and spread milk over the top of buns with a pastry brush. The milk gives it a nice golden crust. I then cook the buns for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 170 degrees (each oven varies, it may take up to 15 minutes).
Verdict – these hot dog buns taste exactly like they are from the Asian bread shops!!
Thermomumma’s Sweet Bun Dough recipe into Hot Dog Buns:
275 grams water, lukewarm
5 teaspoons instant dried yeast
550 grams white bakers flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons milk powder, optional
2 teaspoons bread improver
65 grams sugar
45 grams soft butter
8 x skinless frankfurts (cut into half and pat down with a paper towel)
Milk to brush
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
2. Add all ingredients to your thermo bowl in order. Combine 40 seconds, speed 3. Knead 8 minutes dough function.
4. Transfer dough to a thermomat or oiled bowl & cover with a tea-towel. Let this sit & rest for 15 minutes before working with it.
5. Turn dough out onto a thermomat or oiled/floured bench & punch out any gasses that may have formed. Divide into 16 pieces.
6. Shape/assemble to make hot dog buns (see below).
7. Place in a nice warm moist area to prove for approx. 1 hour.
8. Once grown to the desired size, brush milk over the tops of the buns. Bake for 10 -15 mins, or until tops are golden brown. Place on cooling rack immediately.
Hot Dog Buns in the making
Hot Dog Buns before proving
Hot Dog Buns after proving for 1 hr and milk on top
Hot Dog Buns in oven with hot water bath
Skinless Frankfurts used in buns – Tibaldi brand