These are a regular in our household, and they are BETTER than the bakery!!!
Jumbo Finger Buns
I use the Sweet Bun Dough Recipe by Thermomumma in the link below.
I prove the dough for an hour in an oven with a hot water bath, and bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes (depending on the size of the buns).
Whilst waiting for them to cool, whip up the buttercream icing recipe on the Basic Cookbook TM5 chip using pink food colouring instead of vanilla essence to get that ‘bakery’ look (half …a batch is plenty, however I usually make 1 batch and keep the rest in the fridge for the next lot of buns I make).
The batch makes 8 x huge buns, or 17-18 x small ones (approx. 50-60gm each) using the silicon small loaf pans as pictured ($5 each from Kmart).
I pour sprinkles, desiccated coconut and flaked almonds on separate dinner plates, then spread icing on the top of the buns, and then turn the buns upside down to firmly press the toppings in.
Sultanas can be kneaded in whilst shaping an individual bun prior to proving/baking, however my husband likes putting sultanas in the finger buns when cut in half and buttered up with fresh homemade Thermomix butter.
Thermomumma’s Sweet Bun Dough recipe:
- 275 grams water, lukewarm
- 5 teaspoons instant dried yeast
- 550 grams white bakers flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons milk powder, optional
- 2 teaspoons bread improver
- 65 grams sugar
- 45 grams soft butter
- Add all ingredients to your thermo bowl in order. Combine 40 seconds, speed 3. Then knead 8 minutes dough function.
- Transfer dough to a thermomat or oiled bowl & cover with a tea-towel. Let this sit & rest for 15 minutes before working with it.
- Turn dough out onto a thermomat or oiled/floured bench & punch out any gasses that may have formed.
- Shape/assemble to make buns (see below)
- Place in a nice warm moist area to prove. If you are proving in a dry heat please spray your dough with water & cover or the dough will dry out.
- Once grown to the desired size place (around 1 hour), in a preheated oven on 180* fan forced for 15/20 mins, or until golden brown. Place on cooling rack immediately.
Jumbo Finger Buns Before and After Proving
Mini Loaf Pan Finger Buns prior to Proving and Baking
Mini Loaf Pan Finger Buns